Burn Permits; Residential Yard Debris

A Burn Permit is required for all outdoor burning. To obtain a permit, please call us at (253) 851-3111.

Burn Permits are good for the calendar year, expiring on December 31 of each year. They are free of charge and you can pick it up at our Headquarters Station, or have it e-mailed to you.

Permits can be issued for Residential and Recreational fires. However, land-clearing burns are no longer allowed. A permit for yard debris burning will not be issued within the “NO-BURN” zone. (click for map of no burn zone)

Notice the Burn Status light on our website?



This is the status for permit required fires and it is always visible on the website above our logo on all devices.

RED = Yard Debris Burning Not Allowed – There is a Fire Safety Burn Ban in place; No yard debris burning is permitted until further notice.

Green = Burning Allowed

Yellow = Click for more information or special area status

To download the complete rules and regulations for both types of burning, click below:

Residential Yard Debris Fire — Permit Required
Recreational Fires

Outdoor burning regulations are administered by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency and follow the state Clean Air Act (Chapter 173-425 WAC). The fire district does not set these regulations, but must enforce them. Our responsibility begins with a permitting process for all outdoor burning. Click above to link to their website at: www.pscleanair.org.


Q: May I burn my excess yard waste?

A: Limited residential outdoor burning is allowed in portions of Pierce County Fire District #5. Residents who live outside the non-attainment areas are allowed to burn their yard debris. Contact Pierce County Fire District #5 to see if you are outside this area.

Q: What are my alternatives to burning my yard debris?

A: HAUL IT! Rake up your excess material and haul it to your nearest Recycling/Transfer station. Also, check with your local waste disposal company for curbside yard waste recycling availability.

COMPOST IT! Composting yard and garden waste protects the air, land and water resources while providing a rich garden fertilizer.

CHIP IT! Some residents are choosing to chip their debris. Chippers may be rented or a chipping service hired to take care of your material. Wood chips make excellent mulch around trees and shrubs and can also be used to soften garden paths.

MULCH IT! By mulching, we can easily put nature’s recycling system to work in our own backyard. Spread yard and garden debris around shrubs, trees, and other plantings, Mulching keeps the soil loose and moist, smothers weeds, prevents soil loss and releases nutrients as it decomposes.

Q: When may I burn?

A: During daylight hours when there is not a burn ban imposed. Call the Burn Ban information line at 851-0089 to check on the current burn status, then 851-3111 for a burn permit

Q: What may I burn?

A: Outdoor burning is strictly limited to yard and garden debris (natural vegetation only) that is generated on the property.
Burning of the following materials is prohibited:

Processed wood products including finished lumber, paper products, plywood and particle board, construction or demolition debris, paints, asphalt and petroleum products, plastic products, tires and rubber products, garbage and dead animals.

Discontinuance of Permit:

Complaints arising from smoke or flying ash will cause the permittee to do one or more of the following: (1) Burn the fire hotter to consume the smoke, but do not add additional fuel that causes smoke; or (2) Extinguish the fire.

Malcare WordPress Security